July 12, 2011

Makin' a Mirror


I have been wanting to make a sunburst mirror for the longest time. I've read a lot of tutorials, but I couldn't really find one that I loved. So, today, I just decided to wing it.


Here's what I used: a beveled mirror ($4.99), red paint ($1.99), a bag of multi-sized wooden slats ($9.99) and a hot glue gun. It got it all at Joann's.


Next, I layed out all the strips behind the mirror to see how many strips I needed to paint. The strips look like wood and the bag said they were wood. But, honestly, they feel more like foam.


Then, I flipped the mirror over and started gluing the biggest size of the strips on the back.


I'd say the hardest part was going back and gluing the smaller strips in between the bigger ones. I didn't leave enough room and I cracked quite a few of these strips in half. Oh well! I just hot-glued them back together and kept on going =)


And there's the finished product! I LOVE the color and I'll be sure to show you when I get it hung in the new house. All in all: a fun, cheap project!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Came out great!