August 14, 2011

Trunk Re-Do

I spent the day with my mom yesterday. You know what that means: trouble. She just talks me into doing crazy things... but, in a good way! We started off at the Parent Teacher Store and we somehow ended up at the Harpeth Antique Mall in Franklin. We were just strolling along, slightly gasping at the honestly outrageous prices in the store, when we happened across this little trunk.

 
I know what you're thinking. It's country. There's floral fabric on top. And, the handles are the exact same ones my grandparents had in their kitchen in the 70's. BUT, it was only $45. And it had potential. So it came home with us...

After running to Home Depot and Hobby Lobby to pick up a few things, we got busy. The first thing we did was pull the padded top off the trunk and unscrew all the handles.


We decided not to paint it because I actually thought the color would work in my room. But, I prefer the "it fell off the back of a truck" look. Which basically means I like stuff to look old. So we used some furniture wax we already had and distressed it up nicely!


For new handles, I really was envisioning something like this... only a lot darker. Well, Home Depot only had these silver ones. And, since I'm lazy, I decided to just get them and spray paint them when I got home.


Much better!


Next, we pulled off the floral fabric and found this gross fabric underneath. Needless to say, it all went in the trash.

We used spray adhesive glue to attach some clean new foam to the board that lays on top of the trunk.

Then, we staple gunned (my new favorite thing!) a layer of quilt batting around the board and foam to give it smooth edges. I decided to put burlap on the top of the trunk because it's super cheap, super cute and super easy to match in multiple rooms. I didn't want to be tied down with this piece because of the fabric. I want to be able to move it from room to room if I feel like it.


This is what it looked like when I left my parents' house yesterday. We had some issues with the handles. The screws they sold with the handles didn't fit the wood properly and wouldn't hold them up. We even tried to hot glue the handles on since they are a facade (the trunk only opens from the top.) But, the slickness of the wax and the handles made it impossible to glue them. So, my mom told me she'd get some more screws and bring it to my house this afternoon.

Well, she just left... and here's what she brought me....


I LOVE IT!

And, it's such good storage in my room. I can't wait to fill it with blankets and stuff that I don't really have room to store in my closet.

Lastly, in honor of my mom, who has been my personal decorating guru the last few weeks, I have to show you her lastest project for her house.

Here's the before:
A $7 Goodwill mirror.

And, here's the after:

A beautiful, French-inspired mirror.

She's pretty amazing, huh?

Thanks for all your help, Mom!
 I had fun "getting in trouble" with you yesterday.


0 comments: