September 11, 2011

Never Forget

I can't stop thinking about September 11, 2001.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.

I was a Junior in high school. It was first period and I was in study hall. Just a normal day. Everybody was sitting around and for some reason, although we had asked her every single day the entire year, our teacher agreed to turn on "Let's Make a Deal" so we could watch it. Of course, when we turned on the TV, we saw the coverage of the 1st tower billowing in smoke. We honestly thought it was a clip for a movie.

Just as were starting to watch, we saw the second plane hit live on television. We all started to realize it wasn't an accident. It was being done on purpose.

Throughout the day, we went from class to class. Most of the teachers had the television on and we just sat and watched and talked with our teachers about what was happening.

The most lasting impression I have of that day is that I kept thinking: "It's so sunny and beautiful today. How can these people be going through so much anguish today when it's so nice outside. It's just a Tuesday."

But, it wasn't just a Tuesday.

It changed us forever.

Every single time I see a low-flying plane, I think of 9/11.

Every single time I get on an airplane, I think of 9/11.

Every single time I go through security at the airport, I think of 9/11.

Every single time I hear the word terrorism, I think of 9/11.

Today, I'm praying for the families of the 3,000 people who died on that horrible day. And, I'm praying for our country that such a devastating thing will never happen again. And, I am so, so thankful to be an American.

Never forget.

1 comments:

Jackie & Mike said...

I absolutely agree with you...we must never forget.