October 6, 2011

Creepy, Crawly Spiders!

*Updated 10-22-13
I have received numerous emails in the last few weeks about this post. I, unfortunately, cannot email anyone these graphic organizers because they were on an old computer that crashed. I'm so sorry, but they were really easy to make on Word. Thanks for reading!!

I haven't posted a first grade update in a while and I wanted to share some things my sweet little kiddos have been working on lately. We kicked off Fall last week with a big unit on apples. I didn't really take any pictures of the stuff we did. But, I took a few  today when I was taking their stuff down from the hall.


I usually have them make collage apples and write sentences to describe their apples. But, it just didn't happen this year. And, I wanted to try these cute little apple cores I found on Pinterest.

We did a Johnny Appleseed graphic organizer.


And, we used an apple bubble map to write sentences about apples.

I think it's safe to say that:

This week, I had my big evaluation. You know, the BIG ONE. And, I had a hard time coming up with a lesson that I wanted to do. So, I decided to take a trip to Target and browse the children's books for inspiration. I found the cutest book ever!

(picture from Amazon.com)

It's called the Itsy Bitsy Spider and it's by Kate Toms. It has the sweetest illustrations and it tells the story of the Itsy Bitsy Spider in a lot more detail. I knew my kids would LOVE it... and it single-handedly sparked a week-long spider unit. Love it when that happens.

On Monday, we read a non-fiction book about spiders. We made this anchor chart to record our schema, new information and misconceptions.

Oh, and we got VERY EXCITED about spiders.


Next, we used our chart to fill in a graphic organizer about spiders.

I've been using this same graphic organizer A LOT and they are really starting to get the hang of it. I really like that I can change the topic and it works for basically everything we do!

Here's another one...

We also read this pocket chart poem I found on Mrs. Jump's blog. I LOVE her stuff! My little friends absolutely went BALLISTIC whenever I changed the name in the poem. And, the kid who got picked would get sooo shy and put their head down while everybody else read it. Kids are so funny.


On Tuesday, we made predictions about the Itsy Bitsy Spider. We made three seperate predictions: one before we started reading, one during the reading and one after we finsihed reading. Then, the kids got to get in their teams and share their predictions. They gave themselves a check mark in the circle if their prediction came true. I like that they have some accountability!


Tuesday afternoon, we used a brainstorming web to write sentences about spiders. The kids didn't even have to use the anchor chart we made: they were SO obsessed with spiders that they knew it all by heart. That makes me so happy :)

I didn't know if my kids would be able to handle this so early in the year. I didn't really do this with my kids last year until the VERY end of the year... and they were a high group! But, they did SO WELL. It just showed me that kids will rise to your expectations! I plan to use this format frequently so that they will get more and more familiar with putting sentences together.

Here are a few more:






Yesterday, we transferred the sentences on our webs to a story. 

And, today. Oh, today.
They KNEW they were going to get to make spiders today. And, ya'll? They were ecstatic! They came in at 8:00 this morning talking about those spiders. It really doesn't take much to excite a six-year old, does it?








I wish I could show you the pictures I took of the kids holding these up.
The smiles on their faces are HUGE.

I wasn't even going to hang these up in the hall because I had JUST put up the apple stuff. And I wanted something cute for the clothesline in the room. But, they begged me. And, if you're begging me to hang your work in the hallway? I'll do it. Every single time.



I took the spider off our pocket chart poem and made a sign for them. Because, why not?


We're all decked out for Fall now!


I'm so proud of my little friends. They work so hard and it's really starting to show.
 I can't wait to see what all they accomplish this year!


15 comments:

Lorri said...

Oh my goodness! I have had SO MUCH FUN reading your blog tonight! I love the spiders! In my first grade class, we just finished up reading Miss Nelson is Missing. It really is the perfect story for character traits/comparisons! What we did next would look great with those spiders. I sketched out a witch shoe and let bottom part of her leg/tights. I had the kids write about why they think the author name the "bad witch" character Miss Viola Swamp. They did such a great job! After we edited their stories, they wrote it on the on the (sketched) striped tights. They traced their stories with black sharpies. Then they went back and colored the tights green and yellow stripes...just like Miss Viola Swamp's tights. I made sure that I had feet facing both ways so that I could hang them in pairs. Now it looks like we have witch legs and shoes! Too cute!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for linking up! I'm going to add this version of Itsy Bitsty to my Amazon shopping cart right now. :) I'm your newest follower.
Kimberly
Funky First Grade Fun

Booky4First said...

Do you have a copy of your templates for the graphic organizers you could share? They are terrific!

Lindsay said...

Booky4First,

If you email me, I can send them to you. My email is lindsay.ridings@mnps.org. Thanks for reading!

Lindsay

cindyg said...

I loved you spider graphic organizers, Your students did an awesome job!
Could you share the graphic organizer?

Thanks, Cindyg
cindygarroutte@yahoo.com

arrowbarney said...

Love, Love, Love your unit. Would you be able to email the graphic organizers? Thanks! ptellep@yahoo.com

Janaye said...

AWESOME activities!! I'll bet the kids had a blast! Thanks for linking up :)

~Janaye

Anonymous said...

Love, your graphic organizers. Would you be able to send them to me? Thanks!
jkirschba@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Great Job! Is there any way you could send me a copy of your graphic organizers. I would love to use them in my class. teachmd2012@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

If you still have copies of those spider graphic organizers I would love them! Especially the all about spiders one!
Thanks,
Brooke
gregg.b@norwoodschools.org

Aditi Chokshi said...

Love this unit, can't wait to do it with my kids! Would you be able to send me the graphic organizers @ achokshi23@gmail.com
Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Would love to use these organizerz in my class! Andramccron@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Would love to use these organizerz in my class! Andramccron@hotmail.com

Lindsay said...

I'm sooo sorry, but I no longer have a computer copy of the graphic organizers. They were on an old computer that I no longer have. I actually teach third grade now, so I don't even use this graphic organizer anymore. But, they were really easy to make using Word! Again, so sorry!

The Grade 3 Teacher said...

These are such great ideas! I'm definitely going to be using the spider anchor chart on www.thegrade3teacher.com . Thanks for sharing!