October 20, 2011

Writing's a Hoot!

The week before Fall Break was a little nuts at school. Running Records took up about 85% of my time. But, the rest of the time? My little friends were hard at work on their writing.


First, we read the book Owl Babies, which my kids LOVED! They especially liked the part when Baby Bill cries "I want my mommy!" over and over. Since our Treasures theme this week was Animal Families and we had been discussing how animal parents care for their babies like human parents do, I thought it all tied together pretty well. And, if I'm being completely honest, I had been DYING for them to make owls.

After reading the book, we filled in our Story Map. The Story Map is my new favorite thing. (I don't even have a picture of it, sorry.) It's a poster with the headings: title, characters, setting, problem, solution and theme. We use Post-It's to fill in the information about basically every book we read.

The next day, we took the information from the Story Map and we wrote it into sentences. We used the same kind of web that we used last week with the spider writing. Then, they transferred their writing into sentences on paper.

On Friday, I let them make the owls and branches and put them on their papers. I wasn't completely blown-away by them as they were working on them. But, hanging all together, I think they're DANG CUTE. Ha. I guess there really is strength in numbers.

I hung them over my back cabinets.


I'm a pretty firm believer that scrapbook paper is a teacher's best friend. It just makes everything so much cuter. And, if you buy it in those big packs? It's cheap and it's all in the same color scheme. Win/win, huh?

 

 
And, sorry. These are all the pics I got. I'm lucky I remembered to get these. Did I mention how NUTS the week before Fall Break is?


I have to say... OWL definitely be doing this writing activity again next year!



 

2 comments:

The Dore's said...

I think they are super cute. You are so creative!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for linking up! Love the owls! So cute! I'm your newest follower.
Kimberly
Funky First Grade Fun