November 22, 2011

Gobble, Gobble!

Well, it's official. It's finally Thanksgiving Break and I couldn't be happier! I can't wait to relax, eat and spend time with my family.

Before I enter my turkey coma, I wanted to share some of the fun Thanksgiving activities we did over the last week. I think I can say with almost certainty that the kiddos pretty much had a blast. They're all about some Pilgrims and Native Americans!

We started last week reading some books about Thanksgiving and making a cute little anchor chart.

It was great to have in the room this week for the kids to refer to.

Tuesday, we read another book and recorded information about the Pilgrims and Native Americans.


On Wednesday and Thursday, we used the information in our chart to fill in graphic organizers about Pilgrims and Native Americans. If you've read this blog before, you know we use these graphic organizers a TON! What can I say? I like them, they're simple and they're super effective.

Here are some of their graphic organizers:







Pretty cute, huh?

This week, we used the information from our graphic organizers to write stories. And, we made Pilgrims and Native Americans out of pre-made faces that I bought at the Parent Teacher Store. Honestly, I was going to have them  make a big Pilgrim face and a big Native American face and write seperately about each. But, we ran out of time. I'm okay with it though... I think these turned out even better!





I hung these up on the clothesline in our classroom.




Today, we focused on turkeys. I used a sheet I saw on The First Grade Parade called How To Catch a Turkey. I thought it was such a great idea! We read a book about a run-away turkey and then we wrote about how we would catch him.  Then, we made some cute little tie-dyed coffee filter turkeys. I think they're fun. I sort of got tired of making the same ole' turkeys I make every year. These were so easy and they turned out great!






I hung these out in the hallway. The kids were so excited when they came back from Guidance and saw them up on the wall :)


Here's a close-up of the sign I made:



I apparently was not on my game today... I should have mixed up those colors better!

And, lastly, we also worked on a little Thanksgiving booklet that I made. Here are the pages in the book:

Front Cover

The First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Today

Turkey Talk

There was also a page where they list three things that they are thankful for that I apparently didn't get a picture of.

Whew. That was a lot.

If you're still reading this, God Bless You - ha!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!



4 comments:

Sarah Paul said...

I LOVE all of your graphic organizers!

Miss M said...

I love your All About Thanksgiving Booklet I am doing a unit currently on the Pilgrims and we are talking about the first thanksgiving. I was wondering if you could send me the booklet?

Thank you,
Ms. Caitlin Mastromarino
camastromarino@gmail.com

Lindsay said...

I'm sorry! That booklet was made on my old computer that crashed last year and I sadly lost all of it :(

Miss M said...

Oh that stinks! It happened to me a couple of times in college and recently one of my flash drives stopped working so I feel your pain. Thanks anyways :)