February 4, 2012

Penguins and the 100th Day of School

  We've had some busy days in first grade lately! Here's what we've been up to:

We did a little unit on penguins this week. To say the kids enjoyed learning about our fine-feathered friends would be quite an understatement! We made a schema/new learning anchor chart to get us started.

(Sorry, my pics are a little blurry bc I took them with my phone.
 It's just been that kind of week.)

Next, the kids filled out a tree map about penguins.

Then, they filled out a picture/three facts graphic organizer.




We made some cute little paper plate penguins and the kids wrote their three facts on their bellies.

They turned out super cute!

Here they are hanging up on the wall.




Then, the next day, we celebrated our 100th day of school! The kids dressed up like they were 100 years old. And, since I can't post pictures of them on here, you're just gonna' have to trust me about how dang cute they were! I also decorated the door for them and they had so much fun going through it all day.

I think we're going to leave these streamers up for a while :)
I kind of like them!

We made some 100 year old people and then the kids wrote about what they'll look like when they're 100 years old. A lot of the teachers on my hall did this too... and, it was so fun to see how every class made them differently! Every class did such a cute job! Our hallway looks like an old folks home :)




When I was taking these pictures, I realized that I forgot to show you our door that we made when we got back to school in January. This definitely wasn't my idea: it was something that caught my idea from The First Grade Parade. I've had this idea tucked away since February of last year and couldn't wait to try it with my kiddos.

We wrote our goals for 2012 on New Years hats.


And, last but not least, I wanted to show you the cool murals that the 3rd and 4th graders I tutor after school made about the arctic. My friend Kristin and I teach reading and art to these kids two afternoons a week and we have sooo much fun! I'm super impressed by what a good job they did!

Pretty cool, huh?

Okay, I think that's all I've got for now.

Thanks for reading!

0 comments: