May 20, 2012

Oh, Tim Riggins.

So, do you remember a few weeks ago when I posted about the show Friday Night Lights? I told you I was obsessed... and, I wasn't joking. Well, I've since finished all 5 seasons on Netflix and I can NOT get Tim Riggins off my mind. I even went back and fast forwarded through some episodes to watch my favorite Tim scenes again. I don't think I've ever seen a character on TV that is more interesting or compelling. He just steals every single scene he's in.

 
How could he not?
 
 
So,  here is my list of reasons why I love Tim Riggins.
 
 
 
1. Tim Riggins is hot.
 
 
 
Make no mistake about it. He's not just hot... he's smoldering. I have to say that I am generally not a "fan girl." I don't usually walk around talking about sexy guys in my every day conversations. But, I can't stop talking about him! He has huge green eyes that I can't stop staring at. And, I HATE long hair on guys... but, on Tim? LOVE it. Plus, his body is insane. Oh, and how many gratuitous shots do the producers give you of his amazing abs? Swoon.

 

(via deepbutdazzlingdarkness)

 
 
 
2. Tim Riggins is tragic.
 
 
His dad is a dead beat, his mom has been MIA for years and he's being raised by his older brother, Billy. Billy tries to be a good brother, but he's a "get rich quick scheme" kind of guy and puts Tim in all kinds of illegal and stupid situations. Tim should know better than to get involved in them... but, really, why should he know better? He trusts his brother and loves him and would do anything for him... which, we will discuss. And really, his brother is his only role model. All you want for Tim is a stable home and for somebody's momma to take him in and give him a hug. Speaking of mommas... he also keeps a cheap little snowglobe that his mom gave him. BREAK MY HEART. Oh, and he hooks up with the mom next door just because it makes him so happy to be a part of a family. Like I said, tragic. My heart hurts thinking about him.





 
 
3. Tim Riggins never complains.


 
There are so many times in the series when Tim gets a raw deal. So many misunderstandings and situations where Tim has every right to throw a fit and talk back to an adult. But, he never does. There are also times when all Tim has to do is give a simple explanation that will get him off the hook... but, he doesn't do it.  At the beginning of season 2, there's a new coach. And, for whatever reason, he hates him. He screams at him and makes him carry tires over his head and run bleachers and just berates the kid for two episodes on end. Tim actually ends up being pushed so hard he collapses on the field and has to go to the hospital... and, he never says a word about it. He just expects life to suck and that is so heart-wrenching to me.


 

 
 
 
 
4. Tim Riggins says a lot while saying nothing at all.


 
Okay, so this is more about Taylor Kitsch (the actor who plays Riggins). He can convey SO much emotion with his face. I've never seen anything like it. Riggins doesn't usually talk a lot... he's just a quiet guy. But, you always know what he's thinking because you can see it on his face. Tim actually cries quite a bit throughout the series and it never fails to make me tear up myself because TK is just so dang good at making you feel what Tim is feeling. And, I went on YouTube and watched some videos of Taylor Kitsch. I  think it's so fascinating how different he is than Riggins. He's really active and silly and fun and Tim is just so still and quiet. That is a GOOD actor.


 
 
5. Tim Riggins is not a stereotype.
 
 
I totally thought after watching the pilot episode that I would HATE Tim. He seemed like the team jerk who was mean and selfish and drunk. But, when Tim's best friend Jason gets paralyzed during the first game of the season... everything changes. You start to realize how completely broken up Tim is about it. And, around the 3rd episode, you realize that Tim is not mean or selfish. He's just a confused, lonely, scared kid who is dealing with stuff that is too big for him. Throughout the series, Riggins is the one who stands up for people and helps people when it's really inconvenient for him to do so. And if he doesn't know how to help them, he finds somebody who does. Soooo not the stereotype of the "bad boy."
 
 
 
 
6. Tim Riggins loves babies.
 
 
Seeing Tim holding Gracie Belle, Coach Taylor's baby daughter, was maybe one of the cutest things ever. And, then, when Tim finds out that his brother Billy is going to have a baby in season 4, he's literally so excited that he tackles him to the ground. Be still my heart. And you can't forget about Tim's relationship with his neighbor Bo. Bo wasn't a baby: but, Tim played with him and looked after him and was so sweet with him all the time. But, the best Tim/baby moment is in the finale when Tim literally spends the whole episode carrying around Billy's little boy. And, Tim talks to him in a baby voice and then I die of cuteness overload.
 
 
 
 
7. Tim Riggins has the best smile.
 
 
He hardly ever smiles. But, when he does? It's the best thing ever. Like, maybe I rewind the dvd seven times and watch it over and over. That kind of smile :)

 
 
 
8. Tim Riggins is a good friend.
 
 
 
He was there for Jason a bunch of times: when he took him to the lake in season 1, when he took him to Mexico in season 2 and when he helped him move to New York in season 3. And, don't even get me started on the end of that episode. My Tim love grew three sizes that day :) He's also there for Matt when his dad dies and for Smash when a guy on another team goes after him. Oh, and can't forget how sweet he was to Becky when she found out she was pregnant. Somewhere along the way, Tim became the most loyal guy in Dillon, Texas.
 
 
Matty & Timmy
 
 
9. Tim Riggins is a good boyfriend.
 
 
My favorite scenes with Tim mostly involved him and Lyla in season 3. He was just the sweetest guy that entire season. I loved how he was supportive of her when her dad screwed her chances to go to college. And, I love how he took her to church to cheer her up and then told her she did have a family. But, my favorite Tim/Lyla moment? When he told her he was  "kinda madly in love with" her. It was great to see him take on the caretaker role when Lyla needed it. And, when Lyla told him that she was going to skip out on going to Vanderbilt to go to San Antonio State with him, he looked her right in the eyes and said "Go." It broke his heart (and hers, and mine) but he did it because he loved her and knew it was best for her. He's such a good (imaginary) guy.

 
Something to get us through Monday….
Plus, dude knows how to ROCK a pair of jeans and cowboy boots.

 
10. Tim Riggins loves his brother.
 
 
When Tim's brother Billy turned their garage into a chop shop, Tim begged him not to do it. But, Billy did it anyway. And, Tim went along with it... which, he should not have done. A few episode later, the police arrest Tim and Billy. (Which, by the way, I LOVE the scene with them in jail and Tim just sitting there crying while Billy apologizes. Somebody give that boy a hug!) They are both headed to jail for 1-5 years. But, because Billy has a wife and new baby at home, Tim takes the fall for both of them and goes to jail alone. When he finally gets out of jail, he's totally changed. He's broken and sad and he has so much bitterness and anger towards Billy... which, he has every right to. But, I just can't get over the sacrifice he made for his brother. And, the sacrifice his brother made for him by dropping his own life to raise Tim.
 
 

lindcherry:

Happiness
Episode 412, Laboring
 
 
11. Tim Riggins is funny.
 
 
 As tragic a character as Tim is, he's really funny! He's not always sad and sullen... he's the life of the party a lot of the time. His funniest episode might be the one where he is a powderpuff football coach. When he's picking teams, he asks the girls if any of them know how to chop block. And then, as the other team is scoring a point, Tim is running up and down the sidelines SCREAMING "Kick her knees! Kick her knees!" Here are some of the other funny things he's said:


 
 
 
12. Tim Riggins is all about the nicknames.
 
 
 
 
I think this is the cutest thing. Tim calls everybody by a nickname. He's a big fan of the jersey number nickname. He calls Matt "Seven." He calles Jason "Jay" and "Six" and sometimes even "J-Six." I about died when he called Luke "Fours." He calls Julie "Jules" and Mindy "Minds." He calls his girlfriend Lyla "Ms. Garrity." And, the interesting thing about it is that that's all Taylor Kitsch. In every interview I've seen of him, which happens to be A LOT, he calls his character "Rigs" and he calls Kyle Chandler "Chandy."  Sooo cute.
 
And, I love how everyone always calls him Tim Riggins. Both names. Sometimes Riggs or Timmy, mostly by Jason. And Lyla called him Tim. But everybody else called him Tim Riggins. Especially Bo and Becky. So cute.
 
 
 

 
 
13. Tim Riggins has a sexy voice.
 
 
 
I think it's that Taylor Kitsch is from Canada. He also has this husky voice that is so endearing. And, he's pretty dang good at his Texas accent. His favorite saying is "Let's make some memories." But, what he says is more like "Less make some mammaries." Which, knowing him, maybe that is what he's saying :) And, sometimes he talks in the softest voice and you can just hear all the pain in his life. Whatever it is, I could listen to him talk all day long.
 
 And, sometimes I do.
 
 
 
So, to sum up:


Here's to you #33!

And, if you haven't watched Friday Night Lights, then you're crazy. Go watch it. You won't be sorry. I promise...

26 comments:

Maria said...

So happy I came across your post. I am also obsessed with Riggins. LOVE him! Thanks for making my day! I am watching all five seasons again. I need my Riggins fix!! Swoon!!!

Anonymous said...

Hahaaha I totally agree, I. Just started watching the show on netflix about 3 weeks ago and love time riggins. I just love his character not to mention he is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Everything you listed here I noticed too!!! Crazy!!!

Anonymous said...

You sound like me - just finished watching the 5 seasons of FNL, can't stop thinking about it and LOVE Tim! You have summarized very well why he's so great. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I just discovered FNL on Netflix and cannot stop watching because of Tim Riggins. Everything you stated is dead on about the character and the actor. I've watched some interviews of Taylor online too and have to say he not only is gorgeous, but seems like a good, down to earth guy. Oh and the body? Yowza!!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I wrote this myself. So in love. I'm halfway through the fourth season...I can't decide if I want to race through it or savor every last moment. Oh Tim Riggins...why won't you climb through MY window. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

When this show aired in Finland I thought "another teen drama, boooo.. and football.. no thanks". I started to watch it a week ago because of Taylor Kitsch and I totally loved the show and Tim Riggins.:)

Anonymous said...

Love this post and thanks for the pics! I miss Tim Riggins, need to go rewatch the series.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found this. I have just started watching the show and am totally obsessed and cannot get enough of Riggins. I am seriously having trouble concentrating at work and everything. I love FNL and he is one of the highlights

Anonymous said...

I am obsessed with the show right now and especially Tim. But I am only on Season 1. I love him with Tyra though! That scene where he tried to get back with her and she said no. Oh the chemistry. Though he would have chemistry with a paper bag. He makes that show!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for helping to educate the blogosphere about the beauty that is Tim Riggins. I love Tim Riggins and he is truly smoldering, as you point out. But, my heart just breaks for Tim all the time. Imagine having no parents from such a young age?? As a Mom, all I want to do is clean his house, stock his fridge (with food, not beer) and make him dinner.

Anonymous said...

This site is also fun to feed the TR obsession:
http://drinkingwithtimriggins.tumblr.com/

tala jolie said...

honey i've just started to watch fnl and i gotta say you have said everything that is in my mind about tim riggins. damn than man! i imagine myself wearing his uniform!

Anonymous said...

I am so with all ya'll...I LOVE ME SUM TIM RIGGINS!!! I'm actually waiting 4 it to come on PIVOT @ 8! He is sooo damn sexy I live 4 those epic sweet & completely hilarous tim riggins moments. I'm up to the 3rd season & may I say I absolutely hands down love him with Lyla. He was sooo sweet & supportive of her u can tell he truly loved her even in season one u can tell that. Tim matured so much from being with Lyla she made him a better man & person.#team lyla....f*** tyra

Nomi Lubin said...

Yup. You said it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I came across your post. I'm a completely heterosexual male who just watched the entirety of FNL on Netflix and damn Taylor Kitsch nailed this role perfectly. Favorite character by far.

Anonymous said...

So Funny. I am as I type just finishing with season 4 of FNL on Netflix and about boo-hoo'd when Tim walked thru those jail doors. Stunning actor. And I have yet to see Lone Survivor.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with all the points you made. Just binge-watched FNL over the last few weeks and am now completely obsesses with Tim Riggins and Taylor Kitsch.

Ali said...

I often wonder what Tim Riggins is up to these days. Did he ever finish his house? Lol

Laura Grein said...

Why isn't Tim Riggins waiting for me in my room, saying, "I can't stop thinking about you." NO FAIR.Why wasn't there a Tim Riggins spinoff?

Shalee Brown said...

I LOVE THIS. probably a little bit too much. I recently discovered FNL but I'm already almost through season 4 and Riggins is always on my mind. I don't know if I can watch the next season knowing he won't be in most of it :(

Shalee Brown said...

I LOVE THIS. probably a little bit too much. I recently discovered FNL but I'm already almost through season 4 and Riggins is always on my mind. I don't know if I can watch the next season knowing he won't be in most of it :(

Anonymous said...

I love this. I'm almost 50 years old, and just finished the last episode on Tuesday. I feel like I'm pretty normal (wife, kid, job, etc.) and I am going through Tim Riggins withdrawals. I can't believe I missed this series when it was on. I was turned on to it by friend who's early 50's and was in love with Coach Eric. I also get that. But, oh my God, Tim Riggins? There are no words.

Anonymous said...

My favorite show!! I didn't watch until a few months ago when my daughter started watching. Tim riggins is my background on my phone and on my computer at work. I just can't get enough.

Anonymous said...

Get out of my head! :) Every. single. word. describes my thoughts exactly!! I'm obsessed!

Alison said...

It's been 2 years since I binged watched FNL (in 2 weeks) - still can't get him off my mind. FML. Trying to find Riggins Rigs to get my car fixed...