July 18, 2012

It's Coming...

  Here are the TOP TEN ways a teacher knows that the start of a new school year is just around the corner:

1. She notices her "pinning" has  become a lot more frequent, erratic and panicked. For some reason, right before school starts, I pin like it's my job. I guess I'm thinking that if I just pin ALL THE THINGS I'll have them when I undoubtedly need them.


2. She goes to the Parent Teacher store twice in two weeks... and she still doesn't have everything she needs. I make lists. Really, I do! I for some reason cannot get everything in one trip to save my soul. After six years, it still overwhelms me.


3. Her hands turn into misshapen claws (to steal a term from FRIENDS) cutting, gluing, typing, hot glue gunning, stapling and fabric hanging. One year, I honestly had numbness in my hands for WEEKS because of this. No pain, no gain... or, so I've been told.

image

4. She lays in bed at night and can't sleep. Thoughts in her head include, but are not limited to: What if I don't get it all done? What if my kids don't pass TCAP? What if blankityblank is in my class? What am I going to do about homework this year? I need to buy a border for the green bulletin board and some letters for the orange bulletin board. How am I going to fit Math into a 45 minute block? I should pin more things because that will make me more prepared. (It's all a vicious cycle.)

5. She notices potential classroom organization products everywhere she goes. Oh, sure I can turn that shower caddy into a pencil holder! Absolutely, it'll be no problem to turn this garbage can into a big book holder! Awesome, what if I store journals in this litter box! The possibilities, they are endless.

6. Her bank account starts going down, down, down. And, her blood pressure starts going up, up, up. I think it's been scientifically proven that these two correlate, right?


7. She starts dreading the fact that she's going to have to wear "real clothes" soon. And then she realizes that she can't fit in her "real clothes" anymore because she's spent the whole summer eating junk. (Maybe that's just me....)

Pinned Image

8. She starts seeing families at Wal-Mart buying entire cart-loads of school supplies and she gets heart palpitations every time.


9. She's had to explain 15 times why even though she's not technically required to be up at school right now, it really is necessary. You can't walk in the day before school starts and be ready to go. Come on, people, a classroom doesn't set itself up!


10. She's excited. Even though I'm EXTREMELY nervous about this year because of my move to third grade, I'm REALLY excited. I've been thinking about school a lot (obviously) and I just can't wait. I saw my class list last week and let me tell you: I couldn't be happier! Lots of kiddos that I love on that list :)


I wish every teacher out there good luck! It's officially crunch-time! Because, ready or not, they're coming...

2 comments:

Erica said...

HI there! Your blog is precious. I am your newest follower. GOod luck in third grade.
Erica
Sprinkles to Kindergarten
erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

Heather Shelton said...

Just found your blog! Love this post. I am your newest follower and I am in TN too!
Mrs. Shelton’s Kindergarten