July 25, 2012

My New Classroom!

*If  you like this post, you should check out my more recent classroom pictures! Just click on the "my classroom" tab on the side of my blog! Thanks for reading!!!

 Whew! I'm exhausted. I think I've spent at least one day at school the last 4 weeks. And, the last two weeks? I've been up there almost daily. But, I think my room is done. Or at least as done as it's gonna' be before school starts. Would you like a tour? Be sure and put your sunglasses on - it's a little bright!

Here's our door. I'm not a big "theme" person. But, I do love polka dots. So, I guess that's my theme. I made these spots out of some fun scrapbook paper. Easy peasy...

Here's our carpet/Morning Meeting area. I kind of love that blue shelf. My friend was getting rid of it and I snatched it up right quick! I painted it blue, too, to make it more bright.

Here's another view. This shows our objective board, too. I literally just took it off the board in my first grade classroom and transferred it to this classroom.

And, here's the rest of the front board. This is our calendar bulletin board. I'm thinking I'm going to take that Class Promise down and let the kids help me make one the first week of school.

Another view of the front of the room.

Here's the back wall. It's a little bare, but I plan to hang their work on the blue bulletin boards and anchor charts and stuff on the walls.

This back corner is pretty much for small group instruction. Oh, and that green wall is the best thing about this room! I was so excited to get my friend Meghan's room when she moved to second grade because I love that wall :)

This shelf will hold all the stuff I need for Guided Reading and Math Small Groups. It's a little bare right now because I'm coming from first grade! I need to store up some new stuff.

I'm going to try this little chart this year to keep up with Guided Reading groups. I always had to type up new lists every nine weeks before... now, I'll just have to move their clips around!


Isn't that green wall INCREDIBLE?

Here is my desk area.

The area behind my desk.

(By the way, all those pennants everywhere? They come from Target in the party section! They're maybe my favorite Target purchase ever...)


Word Wall and computers, obviously.

And, here's my little reading corner.

And, the other view.

I know all my bulletin boards are empty. I like to hang up stuff we make and anchor charts after we've talked about them. They'll all be full in no time, I'm sure.

Here's our math bulletin board and morning check-in area.

Here's a close-up of the curtains my mom made for me. I love them!

And, I made this table more fun with a little fabric from my first grade room.

I used a lot of plates in this room. Weird, I know. But, they're like 99 cents a pack! And they're so bright and fun! Plus, I love me some polka dots. I also used plates to make labels for my bulletin boards. I just put some black letters in the middle. Cheap and easy.

Here's the view from the back corner. Going on year 4 of the chair pouches... woo hoo!


Lastly, this our Number of the Day poster, Class Jobs and Class Rules. I kind of love those bees a little more than I should.

I was not happy to move to the old part of our school building after having a brand new classroom the last 3 years. But, I think I can definitely say that this is my favorite classroom yet! I love the green wall and all the space and there's a ton of storage.

Thanks for peeking at my room!

*Update*

I posted this about three weeks ago before school started. Now that we've gone through a few weeks of school, the room looks a little more "lived in." Those adorable plates on their lockers look like they backed over them with their cars about 30 times. Ha! I also changed their desks into groups and I updated my library to be more appropriate for third graders. 



Our new class promise... which I LOVE!

Our new behavior chart...

New library... now including chapter books!

And, the bulletin boards are starting to fill up!




Well, thanks a million for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the tour!!

63 comments:

Marianna Dunn said...

I love your room! It is too cute! And those plates are the perfect idea! :) It looks like you're making a smooth transition!

Marianna
Delightfully Dunn

Miss Nelson said...

Your room is precious. I love the plates and all your colors. I just posted my pics today too.
http://www.missnelsonsgotthecamera.blogspot.com/2012/07/classroom-day-1.html

Mrs. Anderson said...

Your room looks awesome. I love that green wall, too. I am going to look for that pennant decoration at Target. It's so pretty.
Connie:)
www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

M.E. Hall said...

Your room looks lovely and inviting! All your hard work paid off! I go into my room tomorrow!

Lisa Faught said...

Cute room! I have nominated you for two awards. Hop on over to my blog to claim them. :)

Megan said...

Love it!

Marlene said...

Your room looks beautiful!!

the bozeman bungalow said...

The classroom looks great! Good luck this year!

Kelley Dolling said...

WOW . . . you room turned out amazing!! I am going to need some of your makeover mojo next week. I am finally going in to face it . . . ahhhhhh! So glad I found you today.


Kelley Dolling
Teacher Idea Factory

Beth said...

I think using plates is genius!!!
Beth
Thinking of Teaching

Ms. Shope's Class said...

Your room looks fantastic! I like the paper plate idea!! I am a new follower! I am a new follower!

Julie
msshopesclass.blogspot.com

princessdani22 said...

Your room is so lovely - the lamps make the room looks so cosy - I need to find some for my room now!!

Your newest follower
Dani

http://misslynchslearners.blogspot.co.uk

Kelly Hall said...

Your room looks great...Love the bright colors~

Nikki Jones said...

I love your room! It is so colorful and cozy! I also love me some polka dots and who would've thought plates! Interesting! I will keep that in my bag of tricks. Found your blog on the Blog Hop and I'm your newest follower. Would love it if you checked out my blog.

Sent From My iPad

Rikki said...

I love your room. The lettering is adorable. Your curtains are too cute!!
ஐRikki
The Hive

RealOCteachers said...

Your room is so cute! I love the guided reading sign you made. I have been trying to figure out how to make a guided reading schedule for years, and you gave me the perfect idea! I found your blog through Blog Hoppin' and I'm your newest follower! Nice work on the classroom!

The REAL Teachers of Orange County

Tracy said...

Just stumbled along your blog from Pinterest.. I moved from first to third grade too this year, how do you like the change? :)

SUPER cute room!! :)

What did you use for tape to separate your objectives?

Lindsay said...

Tracy, thanks for stopping by! I have LOVED third grade! As for the tape, I used teacher tape from the Parent Teacher Store. It's the only kind that will stick to my boards for some reason...

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful room. I l...o...v...e the green wall. Thanks for sharing. Jacki

Anonymous said...

Wow ! J'adore !!!

Kim A said...

Your classroom is beautiful! Very colorful and happy. Although...this is the old section of the building? My school was built in 1915, so I have a whole different view on "old", ha!

Susan H., Lexington, KY said...

I love your whole room, but especially the calendar area and use of the paper plates for the label. I'm going to steal your idea :-) for my French calendar area with "calendrier." MERCI!

Tracy said...

Your room is adorable! I really like the curtain. Where can I find that fabric?

Lindsay said...

I got it at JoAnn's!

Jennifer said...

I love your room! I really like your behavior clip chart. How did you make it? I need to revise mine.

Lindsay said...

I just glued scrapbook paper to one of those foam poster boards that I had left over from something else. So easy!

Jenny Martinson said...

I love your room!! I am going to be teaching third grade for the first time this year so your blog has given me a lot of inspiration! Where did you get the letters for your word wall and 'objectives' header? LOVE THEM!!

Lindsay said...

Welcome to third grade, it's awesome!! This was my first year, too! I got the letters at the Parent Teacher Store.

Tess said...

Love your room!! Can't wait to see what it will look like this year!

Anonymous said...

Love your room....just wondering what kind of colored tape you used to mark off your objective board.

Lindsay said...

I use the teacher tape from The Parent Teacher Store. It's really sticky and it's the only tape that will stick to my board!

Sarah Christian said...

Love your use of paper plates! Where did you find the multicolor pack??

Thanks!

Lindsay said...

I actually just bought a pack of each color. I think each pack was less than a dollar. I got them at Wal-Mart, but Target has them, too!

kelley Laukes said...

Your room is great!! Just wondering if you have a template or a way to send a copy of your guided reading group clip chart. That is GENIUS!! Thanks! :)

Kelley

Lindsay said...

Thank you. I didn't save it, but it was so easy. I just typed each page into Word and then cut them out and backed them with scrapbook paper.

Amy said...

I love the BEE'S! Did you make them or buy them? If so, from where??

Lindsay said...

Thanks, but I can take no credit for them! I saw them on a pin and then made them myself.

Lisa Tinsley said...

Hi! I am also teaching 3rd for the first time this year and I am so happy to have stumbled upon your blog! I was wondering about your front board with objectives. Do you deconstruct the standards in the objective area too? Also is it one huge white board that you made into 4 different sections? I have a huge whiteboard similar in size to that whole area and would like to section it off without making it too busy and allowing for projection of the DVD/VCR/OVERHEAD. Your example really interested me, so I thought I'd ask!

Lindsay said...

Hi, Lisa! I'll be honest. I put pretty simple, kid-friendly standards up there. I've had those printable ones from TPT in the past, but I found that they were hard for the kids to read and were more for the benefit of "doing the right thing" than being meaningful to the kids. And, it was one big board, but there's a strip that separates it from the rest of the board. I just used teacher tape to section it all off.

Good luck in third grade! I LOVED it this year! It really is the best age!

Becky Peitz said...

Love peeking in other classrooms and knowing that Im not the only one who spends hours on it@ Have a great year@

Mrs. Polman said...

I'm in LOVE with your classroom!!! You have definitely inspired me. I've had a huge new classroom for 2 years, and got moved to a new school into a dungy old small classroom. I will have pictures on my blog, right now I have before pics you can check out! My blog is http://spunkyinsecond.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
Farrar

selina.mcginn said...

I love your classroom.

Anonymous said...

I hardly ever post but I was wondering about your last picture of your room with a writing rubric and something else. Can you tell me more about this wall?

Amanda said...

Where did you get the letters used inside the plates? Love that idea!

Lindsay said...

Thank you! They are just punch out letters that I bought at the Parent Teacher Store.

Kelani's Korner said...

I had a question. What did you use to divide the subjects on your objective board? Is it green painters tape? Thanks! I love your room soooo much!!

Lindsay said...

Thank you! It's actually teacher tape from theParent Teacher Store!

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the paint color and what brand of paint did you use? Your room is awesome! I would love to change my room up a bit! The green is great!

Lindsay said...

Thank you! Believe it or not, I just inherited that room with the green paint! Lucky, huh? So, I have no idea what color it is. I'm sorry I can't help you out :(

somaya said...

I so love your classroom decor! your talented!

Mrs. Somaya said...

I love your classroom décor very much! keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

How did you put the adorable skirt on that table? Did you sew it at all?

Lindsay said...

No sewing, just Velcro!

Renee Phillips said...

Thank you for taking me on a tour of your third grade class. I am moving from Kindergarten to third grade. Not sure of what to do or how the room should be set up. Your room gave me some great ideas! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I like the paper plate idea... just curious, did you just tape the letters on the plates, glue, laminate then tape?? I want to do it right and yours look really good!

Lindsay said...

I just stapled the letters onto the plates. Then I stapled the plates to the bulletin boards. It's been two years since I hung them and they're still up there! I just re-staple if one gets loose.

Carissann said...

I love your classroom!
Do you happen to know the green paint color name for that one wall? I love it! I want to repaint my classroom this summer and Im looking into greens. :)

TaCara Clark said...

I absolutely love your room! I also moved into a new room the school year 15-16. I love the way you labeled each bulletin board! Genius!!! You have inspired me so much!!!

Stephanie said...

I love your room. I am doing a rainbow room this year and this was the perfect room to tour. I love the plate idea. I am going to buy small plates to label my work stations. I am going to staple the small plates to the fist shelf of the bookshelves. I can't wait to get started. My room is not as big as yours but I'm sure the colors will be great. Looking at your room has given me so many ideas. Are those plastic plates or paper plates? Dollar Tree here I come!

Tiffany Thompkins said...

Awesome ideas! I am going back into the classroom as a third grade teacher. Viewing your website has made things really easy for me to start planning espcially with using the colorful plates for each content area/etc. Are they paper or plastic? You rock! I have used the teacher tape in the past and it's awesome too. I love a bright room.

Patricia Van Wyk said...

Love your room! I had already chosen a spot/dot theme for my 2nd grade this year. My daughters think it will be boring. I think your room proves them wrong. Hope mine turns out as cute!

HappyTeacher said...

What did you use for the pouches on your chairs?

Joe Osborne said...

Wow your room is amazing!! I just got my first job as a third grade teacher. I walked into my classroom and was thinking, ok where do I go from here? Any suggestions of where I should put everything? I have a pretty large rectangle shaped classroom, the front wall has a smart board and the back wall has 2 large cork boards and two large chalk boards. On the wall when you walk into the door (to the left) has clips for the students belonging, and the wall on the right has a dry erase board. The teacher before me did not have a desk but I asked if they can get one for me. I also have a u shaped table and a small book shelf. They gave me two large book shelves but they are very torn up. Any suggestions?