August 1, 2012

One Day Down

Today was the day. The much-anticipated first day of school. And, my first day of teaching third grade.

Every year, my principal asks me if I feel like I'm going to throw up a litte on the first day of school. And, every year, I say YES! Haha. I get so nervous. But, this was the first year I said NO.

Don't get me wrong. I'm nervous about third grade. I know it will be very different and a lot of hard work. I know I'll have to go outside my comfort zone and I'll probably find out some hard truths about my teaching. But, to be quite honest, I'm so excited about the year!

The first day went great! I LOVE my class. They are the sweetest, cutest third graders I've ever seen. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I knew about 10 of them pretty well from previous years. I even had about 5 of them in my class! After spending a half day with them, I'm optimistic. I think I'm going to really enjoy them.

Not to mention, it was AMAZING to this former first grade teacher that they could make inferences and write paragraphs on the first day of school! We made a class promise together today and they were so into it. They all had lots of ideas about how our class should be run. It warmed my heart when a few of them told me that their first day of third grade was soooo fun :)

One quick funny story: I asked them today what were some things they had heard about third grade. One kid said "I heard we have to take this big test called TCAP that's the hardest thing in America!" Ha!

We get a nice break tomorrow because it's election day and then we'll have the kiddos all day on Friday. I'll try and take some pictures of some of the cute activities we're planning on working on. We're going to do some activities from Babbling Abby's Back to School for Big Kids pack. Such great stuff!

Oh, before I go, I have to mention my OBSESSION with the Olympics. I seriously can't go to bed each night until it's over. Which does not bode well for the first week of school. I was SO EXCITED when the women's gymnastics team won gold last night!

This may not be a popular opinion, though.

 The announcers keep saying that the FAB FIVE are the best US team since the 1996 team and all that. I agree that they're adorable and sweet and realllly good at gymnastics. But, I don't agree that they're better than the 2008 team! Look at the competition. US and China were neck and neck in Beijing and China was absolutely perfect. The only readon they lost was because Alicia Sacramone fell a few times. Shawn Johnson and Nastia Luikin nailed every single routine. This year, Russia was in second place and they fell a TON. China didn't even make the podium. It just seemed like a down year to me. But what do I know? I know Jordyn Weiber is the cutest thing ever and if I had a gold medal, I'd give it to her in a heartbeat.

Seriously, could they be cuter?

Well, my little brother is pitching tonight so I'd better go. It's going to be a tough order to keep up with the game and the Olympics at the same time. It's a hard life! More third grade updates this weekend. As always, thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Marianna Dunn said...

I'm so glad to hear your first day went so well! You're already making me miss my third graders! :)

Marianna
Delightfully Dunn

Megan said...

Yay for your first day back! Can't wait to see pictures :)