September 23, 2012

Wedding Prep, Harry Potter and Cheese Blobs

Catchy title, huh?  
 
There is a lot going on around here. It's been CRAZY town the last few weeks. So, I haven't been doing too much blogging because I don't have a lot of time. Oh, and because of this little invention called Netflix that I'm completely addicted to. That's partly to blame, honestly. But, I have some stuff I wanted to get down on the blog. So, I'm going to make another of my world famous lame-o lists. Here we go...
 
1. Have I mentioned that my brother is getting married? In ONE WEEK? Yeah, he is. It's all very exciting and I couldn't be happier for him. And for Blakely. They've dated for seven years so I honestly don't feel like I'm gaining a sister... I feel like she is one already! But, I love them and it's a really exciting time in our family.
 
Exciting and crazy. We've been to 3 showers in the last two or three weeks. And, I've been helping my mom plan and prepare for the Rehearsal Dinner. And last night, my mom and I helped Blakely tie ribbons on 300 Tiffany boxes!
 
A little daunting, to say the least.
 
My mom only knocked three boxes off the table. Which wouldn't be a big deal... except, each one contains 62 chocolate pearls. And, we had two puppies right under our feet. And, little balls roll... alot. Ha! We all dove for the dogs first and I pretty much scared the ever-living daylights out of Finley when I screamed and grabbed her. But, isn't chocolate supposed to be poison to dogs? I don't know if that has been confirmed... but, better safe than sorry!
 
So, the Princess spent the rest of the night supervising from my lap.
 
2. For one of the showers, I had to bring an appetizer. I've seen a recipe on Pinterest where you use string cheese and bread crumbs to make mini cheese sticks. So, I gave it a whirl. Seems simple enough, right?
 
I got a bowl of milk and a bowl of breadcrumbs. And, I cut up a HUGE bag of string cheese into bite size chunks.
 
I dipped them in the milk first and then the bread crumbs. It seems so simple but it took FOREVVVVVVVER (said like the kid from Sandlot).
 
I put them in the oven for like 10 minutes, crossed my fingers and ran upstairs to finish getting ready. When I came back down, they looked like this:
 
Sexy.
 
They were no longer cheese sticks. They were cheese blobs.
 
But, what's a girl to do? It was like 15 minutes before the shower started. So, I stuffed em' in a bowl, plopped some marinara sauce in the middle and called it a day.
 
 
They honestly didn't taste bad at all. It was just awkward answering all the "What are these?" questions. Ohhhh, well. I tried.
 
3. Big news for Finley: almost every one of her teeth have fallen out! She looks a little crazy because when her mouth is open all you can see is gums. At least I know why she's been chewing like a maniac lately. She has destroyed about 20 toys in the last two weeks. So, I bought her some new toys that I thought she couldn't destroy. HA! I've already had to throw two of those away! It's terrible. I don't want to keep spending money on toys but if she doesn't have toys she chews on my sheets or me. And, I can't let her play with toys that have stuffing hanging out of them because she'll choke on it.
 
RIP, little toy. We hardly knew you.

And, all that chewing has worn the poor dear out, apparently. She's been falling asleep all over the place:
 
on my shoulder,
 
on the arm of the couch,
 
and face down in my grading basket.
 
Good times.
 
Oh, and this is how she watches me when I'm getting ready in the mornings. I just know she's thinking "Turn the lights off and get back in bed, crazy!" Hahaha.
 
4. Third graders are made of awesome. I am really, really enjoying my class. We have a class blog and a bunch of the kids post on there. But, my favorite is when they comment on each other's writing. Sometimes they write stuff like " AWWWWEEEEEESSSSSOOOMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!" And, sometimes they say stuff like "You're story made me almost cry!!!!" But, either way, I LOVE it that they are encouraging each other!
 
We finished reading Ramona Quimby, Age 8 last week and the kids were so excited to start another book. So, I picked Superfudge by Judy Blume. I'm trying to expose them to some books that they wouldn't just pick up on their own. Plus, it's fun for me to read books to them that I read as a kid! They are LOVING Superfudge! They pack their backpacks up and get me their agendas in about 4 minutes flat so that they can snuggle up on the carpet and listen to me read for about 10 minutes before the bell rings. I'm making time for it everyday because I honestly don't think there is ANYTHING more important than getting those kiddos excited about reading.
 
5. Speaking of excited about reading, I'm doing Soaring Eagles again. That's an after school enrichment program for the third and fourth graders at our school. My friend Kristin and I did Reading and Art last year. It was sooooo fun! But, we decided to scale back a little this year since I changed grade levels and we're just doing Reading. Last year, we read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to the kids and they were absolutely obsessed. So, this year, we decided to give them a choice. We made ballots and everything and let them vote on which book they wanted to read. We only read the backs of the 6 books so that we wouldn't influence their decisions at all. The books were Maniac Magee, Holes, Pippi Longstocking, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, The Great Gilly Hopkins and Peter Pan. I'm happy to say that Harry Potter won with an overwhelming vote of 16 to 4.
 
So, we decided that this year we're going to go all in. I've spent the better half of the week making graphic organizers with discussion questions for each individual chapter. We're going to stop after each chapter and have a little dialogue!
 
(I sent this pic to Kristin earlier in the week. And, I'm too lazy to take a real picture now. So, it'll do.)
 
We're going to take all their graphic organizers and put them into a booklet. With covers and everything! And, when we're finished with the book, then they're going to do a big project. I'll post more about this stuff once we get going and/or when it's finished. It may take us forever. But, the kids are so pumped and I honestly can't wait to experience the book again through their eyes.
 
 I'm a dork. There, I said it for you :)
 
Well, I think that's about all I've got tonight.
 
Hope you have a great week!
 
 

1 comments:

Malo said...

My class last year loved to listen to me read as well. I read them Amelia Bedelia, Mr. Popper's Penguins, all kinds of things. This year doesn't seem to be as in to it, though. Just gotta find something they like, I guess.