October 25, 2012

A Little Research


We've been doing some fun things in third grade lately. I wanted to share some of what we've been up to.
 
In writing/social studies, we've been working on researching and timelines.
 
The kids worked with a partner to research a famous person in history. They used books from the library and websites to gather all their information. They're actually getting pretty good at finding the important information in a lengthy passage.
 
I made a little graphic organizer for them to use to record their information. I did this because one of the third grade common core standards is about sorting research information into categories. And you know as well as I do that it's all about THE CORE, right?
 
 
 
I mean, they plagarized all over the place but I think it's a pretty good first step when learning to conduct research projects :)
 
Then, I had each group write their information in paragraph form on index cards. I told them to label them with the headings that we used on our graphic organizers.
 
 
 
I also gave them a half piece of paper and told them to draw their person.
 
 
 
Pretty sure Helen Keller didn't have red hair. Or did she? Hmmm...
 
 
Next we put all our people in order of their date of birth on a timeline. And, just saying, I got this idea off Pinterest. The original idea came from the blog Third Grade Thinkers. I tweaked it, of course, but when I saw it I thought it would a perfect activity for my kiddos.
 
Here it is:
 
 
 
 
My kiddos were IN AWE! They love it! All day they kept going and standing under it and reading it.
 
Tomorrow, they are going to present their information to the class and we're going to talk about how they all relate to each other and to our history.
 
Then, it's off to the hallway for the timeline because it is pretty dang huge and it takes up my entire board :)
 
Before I go, I have to share this journal entry from one of my precious kids.
 
 
I know, I know.
 
 You want her to be in your class, right?
 
 Too bad... she's already the star to my moon! Ha!
 
Love, love, love my job.
 
Have I mentioned that?
 
That's all I've got tonight. The next blog post will be all about how we covered about 5 standards in one week studying sea turtles! Woo hoo :)
 

1 comments:

Kathy said...

I love the timeline idea! This is a fabulous way to incorporate so much of the common core in an understandable way to kids! Great work!