October 4, 2012

Writing, Monsters and Justin Bieber

Have I mentioned lately that I am LOVING third grade?
Because, I am.
I mean it.
I think kids in third grade are kind of at the best age ever. They are sooooo fun and sweet and independent and into learning.
And, they get my jokes.
That's huge... because, I joke a lot.
Like, for instance, my kiddos are CON-VINCED that I'm obsessed with Justin Bieber.

 A few years ago when these kids were in first grade, a certain teacher who shall remain nameless  told her class that she and I had watched Never Say Never (the Justin Bieber concert dvd, for those of you who actually have lives).
Which may or may not be true.
(Okay, it's true.)

And wouldn't you know it that I would have the one kid this year who not only remembered this information, but is bound and determined to work it into every conversation he partakes in.
Today, we were making bucket lists in writing. I was making my list and putting all my life ambitions and this kid goes "Well, dontcha' want to meet Justin Bieber??"
So, of course I played along ( I ALWAYS do because, as I said, I like to joke around) and added it to the list while the kids just screamed with laughter. Because, it's totally hilarious when your 27 year old teacher is crazy about a dorky kid musician.
I would laugh, too.

 And, maybe I did.
Maybe.
We are officially on Fall Break as of right now. It's very, very exciting. We have to go to school tomorrow but the kids won't be there so it doesn't count. And, we're off all week next week... woo hoo!
Since it was the day before break and the kids were all excited and we had finished all our assessments yesterday, I decided we need some F-U-N. So, we made monsters.
Multiplication monsters.
Basically, the kids roll dice to make multiplication sentences about how many eyes, arms, legs, teeth and horns their monster will have. It's all very exciting.

Then, I just dumped all our paper out onto a table and let the kiddos go to town. We VERY RARELY get to do stuff like this in third grade so the kids were pretty much giddy with excitement.

Their monsters turned out soooo cute!



Well, let me rephrase that. MOST of them looked cute.

And, luckily, I only had enough room to hang up 12 anyway :)



My kiddos also worked hard this week on publishing their first writing pieces. They aren't perfect but they are a great starting point for the year. It was mostly just good for us to get through the writing process and just see what it's all about.

We also discovered dictionaries. Let me tell ya: those suckers have changed my life. I taught the kids how to look up words and spell them correctly and that is another reason why I LOVE third grade! They can totally do it!

And, they want to do it. That's what is exciting. They are currently obsessed with looking up words. And, there are a LOT worse things you can be obsessed with.

Plus, I don't like spelling words for kids so it saves me a lot of headache.

There, I said it.

Anyways... I wanted to find a way to make their personal narratives a little more cohesive since they were all writing about different things. So, I quickly cut out some "frames" using scrapbook paper. And, I let the kids draw a picture in the middle. You'd think I'd told them we'd all be taking a field trip to Disney World if you'd heard the shrieking and excited gasping coming from their little mouths.

It doesn't take much, folks. 


Here are their narratives.

(And, I just noticed that on the bottom row there are basically four frames that are exactly the same and now I won't be able to sleep tonight and I will have to fix that ASAP tomorrow on account of the OCD...)


I love this guys illustration of the fair. We had a LOT of stories about the fair and stories about getting a puppy.


I enjoy the title on this one :)

So, yeah.

That's our week.

 Monsters and writing.

Oh! And, running records until my ears bled.

And, main idea graphic organizers. Lots of those.

And, assessments. Lots of those, too.

But, it's all good.


Cause' whenever I'm overwhelmed, I just come home and snuggle up this little creature and how can you be stressed then?

And if that doesn't work, I just crank up the Justin Bieber tunes...
 



2 comments:

Miss Foote said...

Loving the math monsters!

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee

Heather's Heart said...

That is too funny about Justin Bieber!

Your multiplication monster are adorable!! We are going to need to make those. =)

I am happy to be your newest follower. If you get the chance, I would love for you to hop over and visit me. =)

Heather
Heather's Heart