June 6, 2013

What I Listen To (Classroom Addition)

One thing I've always done in my classroom is play music. I play it every day, all day. 

And, no. I'm not exaggerating.

I read somewhere early on that it's good for your brain to have soft music playing. So, waaaaaay back in my second year of teaching (okay, 5 years ago) I made a playlist of songs to play in my classroom.

Well, guess what?

I'm still using that exact same playlist today!  I haven't changed a single song. And, did I mention I play it all day, every day? I honestly and truly do not get tired of the songs because if I did, I would change them. They're all just so soothing and calming and I almost don't even notice them except when it's really quiet.

I obviously don't have any scientific evidence to back this up. I've never conducted research on the subject. But, I think it helps my kids. If nothing else, it helps with classroom management and classroom environment. If I ever forget to turn the music on, the kids remind me. And, sometimes, when they're all working quietly, they'll start humming along with the music and my heart melts because it's all just too sweet :)

I'll post later about the playlist I use when we want to have fun. But, for now? These are just soft, sweet classical tunes that you can play during a normal school day.
You can find all these songs on iTunes. I'll list the song first, the album and/or musician second. And, all the Disney songs do not have any words - they're just musical versions.


1. Largo from Concerto in D Major - Vivaldi (Baby Genius)
2. Brandenburg Concerto #2, mvmt 1 - Baby Genius Artists
3. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik - Baby Genius Artists
4.Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman, Finding Nemo
5. Allegro from Spring-The Four Seasons - Baby Genius Artists
6. Field Trip - Thomas Newman, Finding Nemo
7. Menuett in A - Hits Unlimited (Classical Music for Kids)
8. Relaxing Piano - Relaxing Piano Music
9. Clocks - The Session
10. Dead Already (American Beauty) - The Session
11. Minuet in G
12. Nutcracker Suite, Miniature Overture - I.Q. Music Orchestra (Be Creative)
13. Beauty and the Beast - Jim Brickman, The Disney Songbook
14. Theme from Spin and Marty (Instrumental) - Walt Disney Presents Songs from the Mickey Mouse Club
15. Turkish March - Hits Unlimited (Classical Music for Kids)
16. Reflection (Instrumental) - Jim Brickman, The Disney Songbook
17. Harry Potter - The Session
18. The Sting - The Session
19. When You Wish Upon a Star (Instrumental) - Jim Brickman, The Disney Songbook
20. Only Time - Enya
21.Orinoco Flow - Enya
22.Hooked on Mozart - The Royal Philharmonic, Hooked on Classics
23. Air in G Minor - Baby Genius Artists
24. Fur Elise - Baby Genius Artists
25. School of Fish - Thomas Newman, Finding  Nemo
26. Canon in D - Classics for Kids

I have an iPod dock that just stays at school. And, I use my old iPod that also stays at school. It works really well for me because I have other playlists for school on there that I use. Do you play music in your classroom? What do you play? I'm always looking for new songs I can add so please let me know if you've got any great ideas.

0 comments: