September 3, 2013

We Got Skills...

 Literacy skills, that is!
 
*Before I start this post, I just want to say that there are two new posts below. I'm totally annoying, I know.*
 
Okay, literacy. Reading. Whatever. We've been doing it a ton. And, I wanted to share some of what we've been up to.
 
You ready?
 
Last week, we focused on compare/contrast. We used the idea from the Comprehension Connections book. We brought in quinoa and had the kids ask thick and thin questions to determine what it was. Then, we gave them rice and let them compare and contrast them. They were so engaged and excited!

We did lots of practice throughout the week. We did some together and then I gave them some differentiated text about two animals and let them compare/contrast the animals.

They did so good that I let them research two topics and compare/contrast them on their own! They amazed me! They researched animals, planets, storms, dinosaurs, people, etc.
 


 
Today, we started cause and effect. I made an anchor chart, but it was nothing special. We read Ruby Bridges and the kids helped me record some cause and effect from Ruby's life.

 
We've recently started using our reading notebooks to record our thinking. Here are some examples...




 
Okay, one last thing. We had to make this little thing last week because my third graders were struggling with writing complete sentences. It seems very elementary, but honestly, they needed the refresher!

 
We're slowly getting into a rhythm in room 301. It's taken us a while. But, I finally feel like we're making some progress.
 
As always, thanks for reading!
 
 


1 comments:

Ms. Chrissy B said...

You've been busy! I especially like the Thick/Thin questions. Really valuable for kids to evaluate their own questioning!

Buzzing with Ms. B