November 25, 2013

Blast from the Past: Movies


A few years ago, I came across a blog called Children of the Nineties. I don't remember how I found it, but I do remember that it was the week we got snowed out of school for the whole week. I literally spent half the week reading this blog about all the things that I loved as a kid. And, I got my friend reading it, too. We kept texting each other with "oh man, remember pogs?" Ha!

Then, Pinterest happened. And, people are always pinning stuff from their childhood. So, of course, I did too. I love looking back on all those good memories that I had. 

So, I'm going to do a little series of posts of things from my childhood. Just because I want too. And, because I always appreciate a little variety on any blog that I read. Ha! 

So, today, I'm going to post my favorite childhood movies. And, just to warn you, it's a pretty long list. Because when I started thinking about the movies I vividly remember, I couldn't stop! Apparently, I spent a lot of time in the late 80's and 90's watching movies. I am including only movies that I enjoyed as kid, not a teen. And, I'm not including the classic Disney movies because there are too many of them and they were all good. Although, if you're curious, my favorite was Beauty and the Beast. 

So, in no particular order, we shall begin!

1. Free Willy - Okay, I said no particular order, but this was probably my favorite. If I had to pick. And, clearly I do have to pick! Maybe it was the big lovable whale. Maybe it was the awesome music. Maybe it was the message - even if you're homeless, you can still save a whale! Maybe it was the fact that I thought Jessie was the hottest boy ever. No really. I did. Whatever the reason, this movie was the one I wanted to watch all. the. time. And, I still get a tiny bit nervous when I go to an aquarium....

2. The Sandlot - I have a brother, so you're going to see a lot of sports movies on this list! This one is probably the best. I watched this recently and it's still just as good today as I remember it being then. I still don't know how any person could not know who Babe Ruth is, but it sure made for a good story. And, if I thought Jessie from Free Willy was hot? Well, to my 3rd grade mind, Jessie was nothing to Benny, the Jet, Rodriguez!

 
3. To Grandmother's House We Go - I can't really say why, but I just loved this movie! The twins run away from home to go to their grandma's house because they think they're a pain to their mom. Which, they totally are! Ha! But, they get kidnapped by this couple who tells them that they're Santa's elves (or something like that?) Riveting stuff, truly. 

4. A Goofy Movie - I was never really a Disney character fan. I mean, Donald Duck? Who cares? But, you know I'm right, this movie was awesome! It had some of the BEST music. I vividly remember singing along with this movie every time I watched it. Plus, it's an entertaining story and was actually pretty relatable. Who hasn't been totally mortified by their parents at least one point in their lives?

5. Mrs. Doubtfire - I remember watching this at practically a million sleepovers during my late elementary school years. Apparently, this movie was that good. Kids do love men who dress as women and speak in a weird voice. Adam Sandler is proof of that!

6. Home Alone - It was tough trying to decide between this and Home Alone 2, but I went with the original. I think it's funnier. I defy anyone to sit and watch this movie and not laugh when the two bandits encounter all the traps that Kevin has set up around his house. You can't do it. That's why this movie is one of the best!

7. D2: The Mighty Ducks - I really liked the original movie, too. But, the sequel is the one that stands out more in my mind. Never before has such a ragtag group of kids won the hearts of so many. It's pretty easy to see why the Mighty Ducks movies were such a hit with kids.

8. The Parent Trap - I remember watching the Lindsay Lohan version of this movie. And, it really doesn't even compare to the original. This movie was just so pretty to look at! The house in California, especially. Plus, who can forget " let's get together, yeah, yeah, yeah!"

9. The Wizard of Oz - I've spoken before about my love of this movie! It's one of my all time favorites. I remember my mom's friend coming over to sew with her. After dinner, all the kids would watch this movie while our moms sewed. Whenever a song would come on, they would come into the den with us and we'd all sing along and dance. Ha! I will say that the wicked witch and monkeys terrified me as a kid! I would pretty much watch up until that point and then leave the room because I was a big chicken :)

10. Heavyweights - Because, who doesn't love a movie about a crazed man who terrorizes kids at fat camp?

11. Man of the House - You know we all loved us some JTT back in the 90's! This movie was about a kid whose mom starts dating a new guy. And, the guy wants to get closer to the kid so they join the Indian Guides and wackiness ensues. I just remember laughing my head off at this movie.

12. Angels in the Outfield - I considered this movie and Rookie of the Year. But, I ultimately chose this one because I spent many a night standing on the couch with my brother and our friends flapping our arms in support of the Angels. Admit it, you did too.

13. Space Jam - A cross between animation and live action, this movie was just the coolest thing to me as kid. Plus, it was really funny! The sad thing? Kids today have no idea who Michael Jordan is. Believe me, I'm a teacher. They have no idea. 

14. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - This is another movie that you can just totally sing along with. And as a kid (and adult), there's really nothing better. 

15. Miracle on 34th Street - I won this VHS at a Christmas Party and it quickly became one of my favorites. So much so that I continued watching it long past the holiday season. Ha! I always enjoyed Mara Wilson and the scenes are just very pretty visually. A total classic!

16. My Girl - As a kid, we went to my grandma's a lot. And, she had a town library. They had movies, but not very many. So, my cousins and I got this movie a LOT! It's soo good, but soo sad! I think it's one of the only kid movies that just kills off a kid, right? 

17. The Land Before Time - To this day, I still see leaves that I think are tree stars! Ha! I also remember playing this on the playground with my friends. We would reinact the whole movie! Kids are so weird. Yep, yep, yep!!!

18. The Brave Little Toaster - My brother and I watched this all the time! We loved it! I honestly can't remember what really happens, but I remember a  bunch of appliances that could talk who maybe got separated from their family? I don't know. But, I know I adored it as a kid.

19. Beethoven - Tell me you didn't beg your mom for a puppy, or four, after seeing this movie for the eight millionth time! 

20. Homeward Bound - Y'all. This movie. So much love. I always liked Chance the most. Sassy was too, well, sassy. And Shadow was too serious. But, Chance? Awesome. Plus, this movie had that cute little boy from The Santa Clause, right?

21. The Santa Clause - Speaking of The Santa Clause, it might be my all-time favorite Christmas movie. Ever. It's funny, it's magical and it has Tim Allen. Enough said. 

23. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - Seriously, just a great movie for kids. It's wacky. It's heartwarming. It's funny. It's totally unrealistic. It has children riding around on an ant, sliding on a ablaze of grass and almost being eaten by their parents, for goodness sake. What more could a person ask for? 

24. The Jetsons Meet the Flinstones - Oh, man. I'd pay money to watch this again. Two of the best cartoons meshed into one? Amazing. I feel like I was very young when I watched this. Like, four or five. But, I remember begging my mom to let me watch it again and again.

25. Three Men and a Baby - I don't really know if this is considered a kid movie or not. But, I watched it  a lot. Like, every time I went to Blockbuster, I wanted to get it. I probably just enjoyed the cute baby and the funny guys who took care of her. I also enjoyed the sequel, Three Men and a Little Lady. 

26. Baby's Day Out - This was the slap-stickiest (I'm a thousand percent sure that's not a word, but I'm leaving it) movie ever. It was very funny to me as kid. A cute baby gets kidnapped by some baby photographers and then they loose him in New York City. Wackiness! 

27. Richie Rich - I mean, it's every kid's dream to have a McDonalds in their house, right?

28. Problem Child - This was a filthy movie. I'm shocked my parents let me watch it. But, I really liked it. I thought that little redheaded devil was hi-larious! I really liked the sequel, too.

29. The Little Rascals - Never before and never since have so many adorable children been in one movie. I loved me some Spanky amd Buckwheat! 

30. Cool Runnings - Has John candy ever been in a bad movie? Nope, he hasn't. This movie was the funniest thing ever. Watching Jamaicans learn to bobsled? What can be better?

Honorable Mentions: Rookie of the Year, Uncle Buck, The Flinstones ( the one with Rosie O'Donnell and Halle Berry), ET, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Curly Sue and It Takes Too. 

Well, that's my list! What movies did you love as a kid?? 

And, be on the lookout for more Blast from the Past posts coming up. 


1 comments:

Tonya said...

I can SOOOO relate to many of these movies! What a great post! Brave Little Toaster, Space Jam, Problem Child...SO good!

Tonya
Tonya’s Treats for Teachers