November 4, 2013

Pumpkin Book Characters

Over the last few years, I've seen a project on Pinterest that I wanted to try. I wanted my kiddos to make book character pumpkins! But, teaching at a low-income school, I was honestly kinda nervous to try it.

I would never want to make a family feel like they needed to spend a lot of money on something like this. And, I was kind of nervous that the kids would just color on it with a marker and not get super into it. 

But, this year, I just bit the bullet and made it an assignment. A family assignment. And I'm soooo glad I did! My kids blew me away!!!



First of all, I made the assignment due after Halloween so that they could find pumpkins cheap or take them off a neighbor's hands :) And, as a class, we brainstormed materials they could use without buying everything. I only gave them two rules: you must bring in the book you used and no carving. Ha! Mostly because I didn't want the room smelling like pumpkin (gag) and I didn't want kids playing with knives. Obviously. Oh, and I included pictures I examples on the letter to the parents. I think that helped a ton because it let them see what I was expecting. 

So, are you ready for a parade of pumpkins?

Sam I Am - Love the construction paper!

Sorry this one's a little dark. It's a Goosebumps character and he's in a locker, ha! 

Harry Potter - this kiddo was concerned because he used a gourd instead of a pumpkin. So sweet :)

I especially love the stick broomstick!

Pippi Longstocking...

And another! Shockingly, this was our only repeat. Obviously, we just got finished reading Pippi in class :)

The Cat in the Hat - love this! 

Cute little Arthur. You have to admit, the faces are pretty identical!

Love this Clifford! She used big jewels for his black eyes.

I thought this duck was precious. 

Here's Simba from The Lion King. This kid walked in holding it above his head like The Circle of Life, HA!!

Oh, wait. We actually had one other duplicate - The Cat in the Hat! 

Okay, I adore this one! This kiddo made the bird from Are You My Mother? So creative and cute!!

Seriously, I don't want to send this one home. It's adorable. How long do pumpkins last anyway?

Skippyjon Jones! 

And, last but definitely not least, we have Spongebob and Patrick! The kids literally dropped their jaws when these came through the door! Ha! 


Here they all are on my back counter: 



I told the kids before they brought them in that they'd get to vote on their favorites and the top three winners will get a new book. Any book they want. I'd buy it myself. But, guys, it's gonna be tough to pick three.

 I'm glad I don't have to decide! 

If you've ever seen this project and debated about doing it, DO IT! My kids had so much fun and I don't hear a single complaint from a parent. In fact, some of them told me they had a lot of fun working on a project with their kid. 

I'll definitely be doing this again next year! 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really like your pumpkin book characters. It's a great family activity and gets everyone interested in books too. Thanks for sharing!