October 19, 2015

Why I Don't Complain About My Job On Facebook

Lately, it seems like every time I get on Facebook, there are articles about poor, poor teachers and how hard they work and how little they get paid. I guess it's because I follow a lot of teachers and so this stuff gets passed around like wildfire and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone with this post. But, I hate these articles. 

I really, really hate them when they're written by teachers. 

Here's the thing. 

I love my job. A lot. Are there days when I get frustrated? Yes. Are there times when I feel under appreciated? Sure. Do I get fed up with testing sometimes, too? Of course. 

But, I put up with it. Here's why...

When I decided to be a teacher, I knew all of this would be the case. I knew money would probably be tight. I knew I wouldn't get paid overtime. I knew it would be hard. I knew it would be a lot of paperwork. I knew I would be dealing with parents who sometimes took their kids' versions of events over my own. I knew I'd have to give tests and look at data and that teaching is not just sitting on the floor with kids every day. 

And, why did I choose teaching anyway? 

Well, because in the midst of alllllllll that, I still get to sit in the floor with them some days. And those days make it worth it. 

I teach them, I love them, I play with them, I correct them, I help them, I test them, I listen to them, I reward them, I punish them, I read to them, I hug them and I ENJOY them. 

I do it for them. Plain and simple.

And, I guess what really annoys me about all the "teachers are treated wrong" hoopla on Facebook is that it makes it seem like I'm some poor, put-upon person who has no joy in their life because they're so overworked and underpaid and stressed out. That couldn't be further from the truth. 

If teachers want to start being respected, then I think they need to stop complaining about the job THEY CHOSE. I don't see articles about bankers being mistreated. Or managers. Or custodians. Or any other job. Just teachers. And, frankly, I think that's frustrating because you can't tell me that teaching is the only stressful job in the world. 

Most teachers are in it for the kids and love their job. But, when a few start ranting on social media about how hard their lives are and then it gets shared 1,000,000 times, it just makes it look like all teachers feel that way. And, I don't feel that way. 

So, when I see an article like this on Facebook, I just stroll right past it. I don't want to participate in the complaining about a profession that I love. I don't want my Facebook friends to think for even one minute that I hate my job or that I don't want to be a teacher anymore. 

Because, I feel blessed to have a job. There are a lot of people who don't. I feel blessed to have job security. There are a lot of people who don't. I feel blessed to own a home.There are a lot of people who don't. I feel blessed to spend my days with people who are committed to to making the lives of others better. There are a lot of people who don't. And, I feel blessed to spend my days with some awesome little kids who show me daily how important my job is. There are a lot of people who don't.

Being a teacher is a job I chose. Along with thousands of other people who do it every day because it's what they love. 

Don't feel sorry for us. Really. Because, contrary to what a few people on Facebook have to say, we don't feel sorry for ourselves. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen...love this from a fellow teacher who also loves her job!!

Elizabeth Scudder said...

Thank you for saying this. I also love my job and knew going in their would be days of want and days of plenty. Keep making a difference in the lives of children and families. It is worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you. I taught high school for 20 years..and could never ever get over why people were so unhappy. I worked 180 days per year!! I got summers off. I got 2 weeks at Christmas, a week at Spring break, and every federal holiday. I could be out the door by 2:30--4 or so if I needed to stay and get some work done. So I had to grade some papers on the weekends... people in many jobs take their work home. And the pay? Earning almost 70 grand for 180 days or work? Not too shabby.

I am in administration now, but I had a blast as a teacher and tried to avoid the negative people. I can respect someone who does not enjoy teaching for whatever reason and then decides to leave and find another career---but to stay and continually complain about a job that you are perfectly free to leave? I never understood it.

Teaching is a great career. I never regretted being a teacher....I often miss the classroom.

Now being a principal, let me list my complaints... Only kidding. I have none. It's much longer hours and more complex work for not a whole lot more pay. And I will admit I miss those summers--but I knew that when I made the leap. No reason to gripe. It's just a part of the job. Thanks for a refreshing perspective. I love to hear about teachers who actually enjoy their work!! And will admit it!